Re: Simone De Beauvoir on Acts 17:12

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 15:32:19 EST

At 1:43 PM -0600 12/16/98, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>I wonder what Simone De Beauvoir would have said about the way women are
>slighted by the scribe (editor or whatever) of Codex Bezae in Acts 17:12.
>
>In the received text (NA27) Acts 17:12 gives the women in Beroea a
>rather propionate treatment, but Codex Bezae rewords it and sends the
>women to the back of the bus.
>
>ACTS 17:12 NA27
>
>POLLOI MEN OUN EX AUTWN EPISTEUSAN KAI TWN hELLHNIDWN GUNAIKWN
>TWN EUSCHMONWN KAI ANDRWN OUK OLIGOI.
>
>ACTS 17:12 Codex Bezae
>
>TINES MEN OUN AUTWN EPISTEUSAN, TINES DE HPISTHSAN, KAI
>TWN hELLHNWN KAI TWN EUSCHMONWN ANDRES KAI GUNAIKES
>hIKANOI EPISTEUSAN.
>
>Metzger suggests that the scribe was primarily clarifying the grammar
>but he admits that there may have also have been a move here to down
>play the importance of the women in this passage.

Interesting. According to NA27 then the women were high-class; although
EUSCHMONWN could construe also with ANDRWN, it looks like that might be an
ordinary partitive genitive and that the men were simply "garden variety."
Bezae then makes the men high-class and the women "adequate."

Eh bien, pourquoi prŽcisŽment Simone de Beauvoir?

>PS
>
>I seed my posts with spelling errors, e.g. "loan wolfs", just to give
>you folks practice in textual emendation. My last post actually had
>"not" for "now" in the post script which really made the sentence really
>difficult to scan.

That's mighty considerate of you. Clay. We didn't even recognize that you
had written in verse, and so we hadn't even tried to scan what you wrote.
Carl W. Conrad