Re: Mark 15:34

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 09:40:06 EST

At 9:30 AM -0500 1/14/99, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 07:21 PM 1/13/99 -0600, Jesse Nall wrote:
>>>>>

>I am new at this, but here goes. I read somewhere in the past that Mark
>15:34 should have been "My God, My God, I thank the for such speedy
>deliverance". If this is allowable, then it is in unity with other
>statements which are accredited to God saying that He will never forsake
>anyone that does not forsake Him. Please give the exegetical treatment to
>this verse or primarily to "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?". Mark 15:34 And
>at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama
>sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou
>forsaken me? (KJV) <mailto:jnall@alltel.net>jnall@alltel.net
>
><<<<
>
>I agree with Jim West's analysis here. One clue to the meaning of the
>Aramaic is the Greek translation that Mark gives in the same verse. In this
>translation, Mark 15:34 uses the same word for "forsake" that Hebrews 13:5
>uses when it says "I will never desert you, and I will never forsake you".
>
>Mark 15:34 hO QEOS MOU hO QEOS MOU, EIS TI *EGKATELIPES* ME?
>Hebr 13:5 OU MH SE ANW OUD' OU MH SE *EGKATALIPW*
>
>I'm frankly unsure what EGKATALEIPW would have to mean in order to produce
>the translation you have given above, but I'm pretty sure it couldn't mean
>that in Mark 15:34 and mean "forsake" in Hebrews 13:5.

I'll add one little item which may be of help to Jesse with his original
question. There are some who have argued that Jesus, in citing the opening
line of the psalm meant to refer to the progress of the whole psalm with
its concluding note of vindication of the suffering servant. There is
considerable debate over the validity of that proposition and this is not
the right place to discuss matters of interpretation that transcend what
the Greek text itself may rightly be understood to mean.

Carl W. Conrad