Re: Luke 6:1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 08:21:11 EST

At 6:29 AM -0600 1/29/99, dd-1@juno.com wrote:
>Greekers, Denny Diehl here
>
>Recently, I noticed an interesting word in Luke 6:1:
>
> "SABBATWi DEUTEROPRWTWi"
>
>Of course, SABBATWi is not the interesting word that
>I have in mind<g>. Is DEUTEROPRWTWi a word which
>is used (couldn't find it anywhere else)? Metzger thinks
>it is the result of a mistake after trying to correct a correction
>in the text (first came PRWTWS in regard to Lk 6:6; then
>came another copyist who deleted PRWTWS [by dots above
>the word] and supplied DEUTEROS in regard to Lk 4:31,
>then another copyist, not noticing that PRWTWS had been
>deleted, combined the two words. Sounds like the makings
>of a good detective story. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I don't believe there's an instance of DEUTEROPRWTOS anywhere in extant
Greek literature, and in fact Metzger (in the note you're citing) says as
much, even calls it by a Latin term I've not seen elsewhere--a VOX
NULLA--which, I suppose, must mean "a non-word." Metzger's explanation of
how the form may have come about is about as reasonable a piece of
speculation as anyone is likely to come up with. The critical apparatus
notes, however, that early Latin MSS. have SABBATO MANE, "on the Sabbath in
the morning" or "on a Sabbath morning." This suggests to me a remote
possibility that by DEUTEROPRWTWi someone might have been trying to say "at
twilight." 'Tis passing curious!

Carl W. Conrad