Re: Luke 6:1 (translation german/english)

From: Jrg Buchegger (
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 05:40:36 EST

Subject: Re: Luke 6:1(translation german/english)

Paul Zellmer wrote:
But we also need to recall that a good number of members are working
with "e-mail" only systems, which means that they cannot access a website.
(I'm not
one of them, but, for example, note the number of ""'s on the
Remember, that's why we can't use Greek (and Hebrew) character fonts. And a
for translation has been considered to be well in line in the past.

Jonathan, where are you? Here's another chance for you to practice your
German. If
you don't keep using it, you might lose it!

Hi, this is Juerg (native germanspeaking), trying to help out in

"Der 'zweit-erste' Sabbat (Gegensatz: 'zweit-letzter' Sabbat) bedeutt einen Sabat, der der zweite ist in einer Reihe von Sabbaten, deren Zaehlung vom ersten Sabbat an beginnt. Schon diese Wortbedeutung von 'deuteroprwtos' verbietet, in Lk 6,1 an den 1. Sabbat nach dem 2. Passahtag... zu denken."

The 'second-first" sabbat (contrast: 'second-last' sabbat) means a sabbat, which is the second in a row of sabbats, starting to count them with the first sabbat. It is this meaning of "deuteroprwtos" alone which makes it impossible to think of the 1st sabbat after the 2nd peshach-day in Lk 6:1

"In Uebereinstimmung mit Vorstehenden uebersetzt Delitzsch,... 'en sabbatw deuteroprwtw' mit : 'beshabath hashinith lesiphiroth ha'amar'"

In agreement with what was written above Delitzsch is translating ... ''en sabbatw deuteroprwtw' with : 'beshabath hashinith lesiphiroth ha'amar'"

I hope this helps for the spanic speaking too...

Juerg Buchegger