Re: 2 John 7-Importance of Present Participle

Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 18:59:31 EST

> Edgar was discussing
I have been memorising Scripture, and have so far managed 2 John, Philemon and

1 Peter 1, [IN ENGLISH, btw!] and I have slightly altered the NIV to "For many

deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ coming
in the flesh" because one commentator has pointed out that this could refer to

the Second Coming, and that it is good to leave it ambiguous enough to refer to

Christ's original and Second Coming.

I am looking forward to Don Carson's forthcoming commentary on the Greek text
of the Johannine Epistles. I am a great admirer of his work, and have found his

books to be very beneficial. His "The Inclusive Language Debate: a plea for
realism" [or similar title] is very helpful.

David McKay