Re: Mark Ch 1.

From: George Blaisdell (
Date: Sun Feb 07 1999 - 12:23:14 EST

>From: Jonathan Robie:

>>1. After sunset
>>2. At sunset
>Is this Textus Receptus? My UBS 3rd reads hOTE EDU hO hHLIOS.

My Concordant Greek Text accepts the EDUSEN reading with the notation
that Sinaiticus and Alexandrinys both omit the -SEN, which leaves it in
the Vaticanus only of the three mss that this source concords. Their
[brutal] sublinear 'transliteration' reads "when slips the sun"... And
in regular [Concordant] translation it reads "when the sun sets", which
leaves open any more precise temporal rendition, and may favor 2 over 1,
but not by much! :-)

The immediate context of 'evening coming on' would seem to argue for its
meaning as simply the "conclusion" of that process.

NA 25 also accepts EDUSEN rather than EDU. I don't have the TR.

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

Get Your Private, Free Email at