Re: Reading recommendations in NT

From: Micheal Palmer (
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 00:06:38 EST

At 8:32 PM -0000 2/2/99, Rodney J. Decker wrote:
>I guess my request was not clear since I've now received lists from several
>that are not related to grammar and syntax issues. (Other NT areas are
>certainly useful, but my focus just now is not in those areas.) I'm not
>looking for reference books that one should own or use, but books or key
>articles about grammar and syntax (or the Greek language in general) that
>one should have read to understand the issues involved. Perhaps something
>like the Porter/Carson vol. in JSNTSupp series, *Bib. Gk. Language and
>Linguistics* (which is an important discussion of the modern aspect
>debate), or perhaps "classic" journal articles such as Colwell's 1933
>article in JBL or Stagg's more recent JBL article on the aorist.
>And yes, my choice of "penultimate importance" was poorly choosen; I'm not
>looking for "second rank" articles, but the best ones.

On the history of the language in the period of the New Testament and the
Early Church, I would recommend chapter four "Greek in the Hellenistic
World", chapter five, "Greek in the Roman Empire", and chapter six "Spoken
Koine in the Roman period" of Geoffrey Horrocks' _Greek: A History of the
Language and its Speakers_ (New York: Longman, 1997), pages 32-70, 71-101,
and 102-127.

Micheal W. Palmer
North Carolina State University
Philosophy and Religion (New Testament)
Foreign Languages (Ancient Greek)

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at