Re: Matt.6:13-jeffrey

From: yochanan bitan (
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 06:07:55 EST

(jeffrey gibson wrote:)
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but you argument from Semitic environment
>assumes notl only (a) that the LP goes back to Jesus who gave it in
>Aramaic or Hebrew and that (b) Matt 6:13b is a Greek form of a phrase
>that was original to the prayer. To put this another way: you rule out
>the possibility that Matt. 6:13b is a Matthean *addition* to a prayer
>which originaly ended with the Hebrew/Aramaic equivalent of "Lead us not
>into PEIRASMOS", yes?

yes to 'a'
yes to 'b'
the parellelism that is obvious throughout the prayer 'certainly'
(certainly=probable, solid conclusion) continued with
'lead us not into peirasmos, but rescue us from evil".
both lines have a rabbinic 'ring' about them
and are not creations at the greek stage of tradition.

randall buth