Re: this week's exegesis passage: Chiasmus

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 12:24:49 EST

>From: "Byron P. Knutson"

>The chiasmus/parallelism would seem more balanced as
>
>a KAI TOIS SPERMASIN
>b WS EPI POLLWN
>c ALL'
>b' WS EF' ENOS
>a' KAI TW SPERMATI SOU
>
>with ALL' being the fulcrum.

Byron ~ That seems right, and I would structure it as follows, IF this
makes it through the e-mail as I am seeing it typed!

a KAI TOIS SPERMASIN
b WS EPI POLLWN
c ALL'
b' WS EF' ENOS
a' KAI TW SPERMATI SOU

And the question is begging here ~ So What? Can we draw any inferences
or possibility of inferences from the structure? I want to think so,
and yet am at a loss as to how to proceed, other than ordering the books
[which I have done!]

If the chiasm is structured according to the nouns, then 'c' is not a
'c' [noun], but the fulcrum ['f' ?], so that it is an abba and not an
abcba, [or perhaps an abfba] but does this make a difference in how to
approach understanding it?

Should it be considered a 'unit of thought' that moves forward into the
next thought through the ALL' on which it turns? Or should it simply be
regarded as explanatory of itself? And how?

Not understanding all' I know about anything!!

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA