RE: Married Only Once

From: Bill Ross (
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 08:35:00 EST

>This past weekend I was looking at the NRSV and
>noticed that MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA in 1 Tim 3:2
>was translated "married only once", which suggests
>the meaning "one marriage for a life time" instead of
>"one marriage at a time".

>I take this little phrase a little differently than some. I think it is
quite proper to translate "a one woman man". Now, I presume, everyone knows
what a one woman man is- a man who is faithful to his marriage partner.
This neither prohibits marriage after the death of a spouse nor divorce and
faithfulness to the new marriage partner.

And now- to the mass of disagreers--- "bring it on"-- :-)

All in favor of stoning Jim, say "Aye"! :-]

If one translates GUNAIKOS as woman and not wife, and MIAS as one at a time,
you've certainly taken the widest possible interpretation.

This being b-greek and not b-gothard you are within the grammar, I guess
that its permissable. :-)