Re: Starting out in LXX

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 18:46:15 EST

Here are my suggestions:

Brenton, Lancelot C.L. The Septuagint with Apocrypha: Greek and English.
Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1980.

Brooke, A. E., N. McLean, and H. St. John Thackeray. The Old Testament in
Greek According to the Text of the Codex Vaticanus, Supplemented from Other
Uncial Manuascripts, with a Critical Apparatus Containg the Variants of the
Chief Ancient Authorities for the Text of the Septuagint. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1940.

Field, F. Origenis Hexaplorum quae supersunt; sive veterum interpretum
Graecorum in totum Vetus Testamentum
         fragmenta... 2 vols. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1875.

Rahlfs, Alfred. Septuaginta. 2 vols. Stuttgart: Privilegierte
Wurttembergische Bibelanstalt, 1935.

Swete, Henry Barclay. The Old Testament in Greek According to the
Septuagint. 2nd ed. 3 vols. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1899.

Hatch, Edwin, and Henry A. Redpath. A Concordance to the Septuagint and
Other Greek Versions of the OldTestament. 2 vols. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1987.

Muroaka, T. Hebrew/Aramiac Index to the Septuagint, Keyed to the Hatch and
Redpath Concordance. Grand Rapids:Baker, 1997.

Morrish, George. A Concordance to the Septuagint. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1976.

Analytical Lexicons

Taylor, Bernard. Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint. Grand Rapids:
Zondervan, 1992.

Lust, J. (Johan). A Greek-English Lexicon of the Septuagint. / compiled
by J. Lust, E. Eynikel, K. Hauspie with the collaboration of G.
Chamberlain. Stuttgart : žb Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 1992.

At 09:26 PM 3/17/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello list-friends...
>I was just wondering how to approach the LXX?
>I have read a some in GNT and would like to start exploring LXX alongside
of it.
>What tools do you need? Are there several editions of LXX? What dictionary
is needed? Are there any linguistic keys to LXX that can be helpful (like
>How difficult is the language of LXX compared to the GNT?
>B-Greek home page:
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as:
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>To subscribe, send a message to

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX) (preferred) (alternate)