Studying the Book of Hebrews

From: John Contabile (
Date: Sat Mar 20 1999 - 23:40:36 EST

I am currently studying Hebrews and am wondering if it is better to examine
the book from a Hebrew perspective or a Greek persepective. The style of
the Greek seems to be different than what I have studied in the past. If
it is true that the writer was most likely schooled in Alexandria, and was
a Jew himself, would it be better to look for Hebraic patterns of
thought/rhetoric or Greek patterns of thought/rhetoric? I am still working
on the discourse analysis of chapters one and two and the style is eluding

Also, does anyone know of any books on Hebrew thought/rhetoric?

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I am dealing with the Greek text.

John Contabile
Student of New Testament Greek