Re: Revelation 22:3

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 21:20:18 EST

I wrote:

> The chapter division at Revelation 22 is infelicitous, perhaps
> Stephanous was getting tired by this point being almost at the end of
> his labors or perhaps his horse stepped into a gopher hole. Actually I
> am not sure Stephanous provided us with this chapter division so the
> blame me be misdirected.

A polite and friendly Scholar corrected me off list saying:

Stephanus (Robert Estienne) provided us with the *verse* divisions of
biblical books.
The "chapterization" that is standard comes from Stevan (Stephen)
Langton, archbishop
of Canterbury. d. 1228.

Good to have this point cleared up.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew