Re: What is the meaning of "worthy" in Matthew 8.8

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 21:39:53 EDT

At 05:41 PM 4/9/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I am interested finding out the root meaning of "worthy" in Matthew 8.8
>where the Centurion says, "I am not worthy."
>
> Thanks!

the greek word is hikanos,and has a range of meaning- sufficient, adequate,
large enough, much, considerable enough, many, fit, appropriate, competent,
qualified...

Matthew uses the word 3 times- mt 3:11, 8:8, and 28:12. mark uses it 3
times, luke 9 times, acts 18 times, 1 cor 2 times, 2 cor 3 times, and 2 tim
1 time.

if i may suggest a simple paraphrase that may help you here- the centurion
is suggesting that he simply is not important enough or good enough for the
learned rabbi and healer to visit him...

best,

jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
email- jwest@highland.net
web page- http://web.infoave.net/~jwest