Re: What is the meaning of "worthy" in Matthew 8.8

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 21:39:53 EDT

At 05:41 PM 4/9/99 +0000, you wrote:
>I am interested finding out the root meaning of "worthy" in Matthew 8.8
>where the Centurion says, "I am not worthy."
> Thanks!

the greek word is hikanos,and has a range of meaning- sufficient, adequate,
large enough, much, considerable enough, many, fit, appropriate, competent,

Matthew uses the word 3 times- mt 3:11, 8:8, and 28:12. mark uses it 3
times, luke 9 times, acts 18 times, 1 cor 2 times, 2 cor 3 times, and 2 tim
1 time.

if i may suggest a simple paraphrase that may help you here- the centurion
is suggesting that he simply is not important enough or good enough for the
learned rabbi and healer to visit him...

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
web page-