Re: What is the meaning of "worthy" in Matthew 8.8

From: Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira (
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 22:09:25 EDT

Jim West wrote:

> if i may suggest a simple paraphrase that may help you here- the centurion
> is suggesting that he simply is not important enough or good enough for the
> learned rabbi and healer to visit him...

I agree with that. Portuguese translations make this meaning clear. Is it
possible that the English word "worthy" had a slightly different meaning
in the past, one which would imply attained social position? This would
explain the choice made by the translator. Or could it be that the word
has a ambiguous meaning even today? Did Margaret pose the question
to choose between the two meanings os the word?

C. Navarro.