Re: TWi ~ A Relative Pronoun?

From: George Blaisdell (
Date: Sat Apr 10 1999 - 18:24:58 EDT

>From: "Carl W. Conrad"

>I wasn't going to say this but since
>you've repeated this EN TWi PISTEI, I
>can't go on without noting that PISTEI is a
>feminine noun: there's no TWi
>there at all; it's EN THi PISTEI.

Carl ~

Thank-you ~ I got so focused on the dative issue I lost track of the
gender. Daah!!

>And for my part, I think you're drawing an altogether facile and
>questionable assumption that "genitive" case means
>"genesis" of the noun.

Well, it IS easy [facile seems a tad pejorative!] to understand, and
the questionability is what this list is all about, yes?

>The term "genitive" may originally have
>embodied a theory of how a noun in
>the genitive is related to another word,
>but this particular theory won't
>get you very far in explaining either
>some primary type of genitive or all
>the varieties of genitive usage.

I would hope not!

The proposition I have put forward is that absent other contextual
factors ~ as if this sentence were all by itself ~ the genitive case
without a proposition simply indicates source, or 'genesis', of that
which it modifies.

And I could easily be wrong...

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit