Re: Mk 3.5 ~ Middle Voice

From: George Blaisdell (
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 01:40:57 EDT

>From: "Moon"

>thanks for your comments.
>You wrote:
>> I had a hard time with it for a long
>> time! Until I discovered its potential
>>for being viewed as the
>> "inner" voice of the verb.
>>The active directs the action outward,
>>and the passive receives the action from without,
>>and the middle is simply
>> the actor acting from within him/her self...
>Do you mean by it what Carl said about the middle voice,
>"it describes self-projection or self-involving actions"?

Yes, [although somewhat differently focused.] In this passage clearly
so, because Jesus is taking an action [to heal the withered hand] and
the two middle participles afford us a window into just what is going
on *within* Jesus as He tells the man to hold out his hand. This is
why I often like to see the middle as the 'inner' voice...

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit