Re: Ephesians

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 23:50:53 EDT

Bill Ross wrote:

> {Bill}
> Would this be an example of EIMI taking a direct object?
>
> KAQWS AXION ESTIN - 2 Thess 1:3

Bill

I know you intended this for Carl, but since you posted this to the list, I'll put in
my two cents worth.

The direct object of the verb receives the action of the verb or shows the result of
the action. EIMI simply isn't a verb that describes action; it is an intransitive
or linking verb. In 2 Thess 1:3, AXION is a predicate adjective, with "it" implied
as the subject of the clause. My translation would be, " as (it) is fitting". AXION
is not the accusative form of the adjective, but the nominative singular neuter
agreeing with the subject. I say this because I'm not sure if it's the form of the
complement that is causing the confusion (ie. the ending looks like a direct object)
or if you are just saying direct object when you mean a subject complement. Of
coarse, I suppose we can call it anything we want, but since they function
differently, grammatically, we lose precision if we don't draw a distinction between
the two.

Jim Murray
Racine, WI