Re: b-greek index: April 17, 1999

From: Paul J. Bodin (
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 11:48:48 EDT

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 06:07:02 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> The problem that remains,
> however, is that I think there are also people--I don't know how many it
> might be--who use plain DOS or who use Unix operating systems, and I don't
> think this would work for them. We ought to have something usable by
> everyone without exception.

This is an extremely significant problem. Although I now use a Windows
platform exclusively to read e-mail, when I was doing my graduate work
at Union Seminary I would often use a dumb terminal in the Columbia
system to read my mail. Such terminals are most commonly simple
text-only Unix workstations that are not capable of graphics mode
displays or font switching. They would not be capable of displaying
*any* alternate font. I no longer use such machines, but many of our
subscribers who read their mail from an academic institution may still
use such equipment. We should not adopt any alternative that would
make their mail impossible to read...

 Paul J. Bodin <>
              For PGP public key finger
                    or check your favorite keyserver