Re: Mk 3.5

From: Jim West (
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 22:27:06 EDT

At 10:01 PM 4/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>In Mk 3.5 the participle periblepsamenos is in the middle voice, but I'm not
>sure why it's not active instead. I understand the middle to express
>actions done for or unto oneself, which thereby undercuts the dichotomy of
>subject and object. I can only make sense of the middle here in that Jesus
>was looking around so as to be on guard, thus looking out for himself.

however, since the word is a participle- and in true "particpular" (!)
fashion, the voice is "lost" (or maybe simply set aside) in favor of an
emphasis on "time" (or maybe duration). Thus, something like- "and looking
around at them... while angered", etc.

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

fax- 978-231-5986
web page-