Re: Mk 3.5

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 07:33:48 EDT

Dear Carl,

You wrote:
>It may not be
> the easiest thing to convey in English, but on the other hand, it's not out
> of question to convey PERIBLEYAMENOS as "after casting his glance around
> the room."

I have some questions prompted by this thread.

1) After joining this mailing list, I seem to learn a lot about the middle
voice of Biblical Greek. But I remember that I read some book which
said the force of the middle voice almost disappeared in BG. What is
the rationale for this claim or hypothesis?

2. How does the translation "casting HIS glanace around the room"
incorporate the reflexive meaning of the form?

3. What would the active form PERIBLEYAS be translated?

Respectfully,
Moon-ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Dept of Computer Science