Re: Mk 3.5

From: Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 23:47:33 EDT

At 9:27 PM -0500 4/13/99, Jim West wrote:
>At 10:01 PM 4/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>In Mk 3.5 the participle periblepsamenos is in the middle voice, but I'm not
>>sure why it's not active instead. I understand the middle to express
>>actions done for or unto oneself, which thereby undercuts the dichotomy of
>>subject and object. I can only make sense of the middle here in that Jesus
>>was looking around so as to be on guard, thus looking out for himself.
>>
>>Thanks,
>
>however, since the word is a participle- and in true "particpular" (!)
>fashion, the voice is "lost" (or maybe simply set aside) in favor of an
>emphasis on "time" (or maybe duration). Thus, something like- "and looking
>around at them... while angered", etc.
>
>best,
>
>jim

Jim:

Why would you say that voice is lost or "maybe simply set aside" in
participles? Can you give any examples where the voice is clearly important
in the finite form of a verb, but becomes unimportant when the same verb
appears as a participle?

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
North Carolina State University
Philosophy and Religion (New Testament)
Foreign Languages (Ancient Greek)

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://www.greek-language.com/