Re: Case form of Participles used as Verb Compliments

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 16:10:54 EDT

At 12:57 PM -0700 4/21/99, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>What is the function of the case form in a participle when it is used as
>a verb compliment?
>
>Example Luke 7:45
>
>hAUTH DE AF' hHS EISHLQON OU DIELIPEN
>KATAFILOUSA MOU TOUS PODAS.
>
>What does the case form of KATAFILOUSA do here? Does it link the
>participle construction to the hAUTH in an adjectival relationship? If
>so does the participle serve both to complete the verbal idea and limit
>the subject?

I don't know that I'd put it that way, but that's what it amounts to.
KATAFILOUSA is what I'd call a supplementary participle to OU DIELIPEN, and
since it refers back to the subject hAUTH, it is nom. sg. fem.: "but this
woman hasn't once stopped kissing ... " It is comparable to a participle
used with TUGCANW or FAINOMAI; it must take the same case as the subject
just as in a periphrastic imperfect, e.g. hOUTOS HN FULASSWN TO POIMNION,
where FULASSWN is m. nom. sg. to agree with hOUTOS.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu