Re: PANTES OU versus OU PANTES in 1 Cor 15:51

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (
Date: Sat Apr 24 1999 - 20:27:49 EDT

On 04/24/99, ""Carl W. Conrad" <>" wrote:
> At 10:56 PM -0500 4/23/99, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
> >Dear Carl,

> > "All of us inclusively (i.e. 100% of us) are NOT going to
> >> sleep, but all of us inclusively (i.e. 100% of us) ARE going to undergo
> >> transformation.."
> >
> >Does this rendering imply that no one of us is going to sleep?
> No. Perhaps you'd prefer this: "We shall not sleep--all of us." Certainly
> it could have been written OU PANTES KOIMHQHSOMEQA and perhaps have been
> clearer that way, but I don't think the meaning is changed by the different
> word order so much as that Paul intended to make PANTES the emphatic word
> in both clauses in order to make it all the more forceful in the second
> clause. He wants to emphasize the collective aspect of apocalyptic
> redemption. Perhaps an even more vivid rendering, though I don't know
> whether the Greek could properly be punctuated to yield this: "All of
> us--even though we won't be all sleeping--yet ALL OF US will undergo
> transformation."

Carl, to see if I have understood you, let me ask clarifying
questions. But let me first mention three translations:
 1) Lo! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be
changed, RSV

 2)I'm telling you a mystery. Not all of us will die, but we will
 all be changed. GWT

 3) Behold, I tell you a mystery: We all shall not sleep,
 but we shall all be changed, ASV

a) Does your understanding support the ASV translation ( 1)?
b) Is the RSV translation (1) ambiguous between (2) and (3)?
c) I thought that the context indicates (2) correctly captures
   Is it grammatically possible to render it as (2)?
d) If Paul wrote OU PANTES KOIMHQHSOMEQA, wouldn't it clearly mean

Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Dept of Computer Science
Soongsil University