Peculiar Word Order

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Apr 24 1999 - 05:52:19 EDT

Dear B-Greekers,

Recently I encountered two sentences whose word order I could not
understand. Lk 7:40: ECW SOI TI EIPEIN ( I have something to tell you]
Heb 2:8b: NUN DE OUPW ORAMEN AUTWi TA PANTA hUPOTETAGMENA
(We are not yet seeing everything having been subjected to him]

Logically speaking, I thought the object of ECW is TI and the object of
ORAMEN is TA PANTA. But the verbs and the objects are separated by
datives SOI and AUTWi, respectively. I wondered why they did not
write as ECW TI EIPEIN SOI. Similarly why not
 NUN DE OUPW ORAMEN TA PANTA hUPOTETAGMENA AUTWi?

Does ECW SOI TI EIPEIN intend to convey a similar thing as
 "I have something to tell YOU", where YOU is stressed?
When the sentence in question is SOI TI EIPEIN, I can understand it.
But when it is embedded as an object of a verb, I do not understand
what is going on in ECW SOI TI EIPEIN.

I guess I am missing something about Greek word order.

Respectfully
Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor
Dept of Computer Science