Re: diagramming vocatives

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 14:23:11 EDT

> At 10:04 AM -0700 4/27/99, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm currently teaching myself simplified diagramming/sentence flow as a
>>> technique for working out how sentences, clauses fit together. Can
>>> anybody who 'diagrams' tell me how they treat vocatives or address,
>>> usually with 2nd person verb? Do you use put it in the subject 'slot'?
>>> Thanks
>>> Jonathan Ryder
>>Like any other clause constituent I would diagram the vocative according
>>to the syntactical function it performs within the clause.
> And what syntactical function does a vocative perform within any clause? I
> would have said that a vocative is not within a clause at all--that it's
> simply a direct address to a person: "Psst, hey you!"
> Carl W. Conrad

Always? Without exception?

Back to Luke 1:3 and QEOFILE. It looks like QEOFILE has a function
within the clause. It limits or defines defines addressee in the pronoun
SOI. I think this question needs to be answered on a case by case basis.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062