Re: OT in NT

From: Edgar Krentz (
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 14:44:25 EDT

>Please excuse my ignorance, but in LOCI CITATI VEL ALLEGATI, I can't
>figure out which OT references, cited in the NT, come from the LXX, and
>which come from other sources. Can you explain? Many thanks.
>Dr. Theodore "Ted" Mann
>Orchard Lake, Michigan
>>The simplest and easiest is to go to pp. 770-806, apapendix IV in the Aland
>>NTG, 27th edition.
>>Titled "Loci Citati vel Allegati," it lists every ditation, explicit or
>>implicit, plus what may be allusions to texts from the OT, Early Jewish
>>non-canonical literature, and other sources. One of the untapped gems
>>in this edition.

Ted, it will not tell you that. You have t o check any cityation against
the LXX ant MT t exts. Aland does sometimes put at LXX after the marginal
reference to indicate a septuagint reference.

But there are citations that come from neither!

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street