Re: Winged Feet

From: Ben Crick (
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 12:43:49 EDT

On Sat 1 May 99 (10:35:22 +0100), wrote:
> Surely rabbinic tradition regards the "wings" as covering their
> genitals?

 Dear Maurice,

 The "Three brass monkeys" have their hands respectively covering their
 eyes, ears, and mouth (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil). There
 is a "fourth brass monkey" with his hands in the position you describe.

 In Matthew 22:30 Jesus says "... in the Resurrection they neither marry,
 nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven".
 I always thought that the angels are immortal, and therefore do not
 need to propagate themselves genetically. There is that conunundrum in
 Genesis 6:1-4 about the "sons of God"; but apart from that, I would
 maintain that angels do not have genitals. Adam was a "son of God"
 (Luke 3:38); he did need to be fruitful and multiply. The BeNeY-
 'a:LoHiYM who fathered HaGGiBBoWRiYM do not have to be angels.

 But thanks for the Rabbinical slant on Isaiah 6:2. For me, the wings
 over the mouth indicate sanctified 'talk'; the wings over the feet
 sanctified 'walk'. The AGGELOI or M:LaKiYM are the mouthpieces of God.
 James had a lot to say about our use of the Tongue!

 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF