Re: MENOUN in Luke 11.28

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 05:56:27 EDT

At 00:41 06/05/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Interestingly, two common Roman Catholic translations, the Rheims Bible
>and the New American Bible, both render MENOUN with "rather" as in "Yea
>rather" and "Rather" respectively. Indeed, the "Yea rather" of the
>Rheims agrees with the Authorized (KJV).

Two more R.C translations are in agreement ( contra the number of times the
NJB changes some very odd translations in the JB )

'Still happier those who hear the word of God and keep it!'

More blessed still are those who hear the word of God and

OTOH, Fitzmyer, in his own translation for the Anchor Bible volume 28A, gives:
" Blessed rather are ........"

And on p. 928, he has an informative note, which I won't attempt to
reproduce in full.
Initially making the point that here MENOUN is used at the head of a
sentence, against classical Greek usage.

He then goes on to list three different usages:
(a) adversative
(b) affirmative
(c) corrective [ "yes, but rather" ]

Citing Thrall in " Greek Particles in the N.T", "for Luke the first two
uses are to be eliminated " , quoting Thrall's reasons.
He concludes " hence, the last corrective sense is to be preferred" and we
are referred to Moule's 'Idiiom Book'

Hope this is of help.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland ]

"Be certain your feet are planted in the
right place before you decide to stand firm!"