Re: Heb 2:17

From: Edgar Krentz (
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 12:09:57 EDT

>Does any one have any thoughts on the word hOMOIWQHNAI in Heb 2:17? To
>what extent *like*? Is English adequate to express what this is saying
>in the Greek? There are those who would want to make this to mean
>*equal*, but to me that seems to be stretching he word, mood and tense
>a bit. Or does this link with the earlier phrase, as some translate,

You raise an interesting question, which reverberates in Pau'ls use of
hOMOIWMA in Rom 8:3 [cf. 6:5] and Phil 2:7. Years ago Ernst Kaesemann
suggested in his lectures on NT theology that there is a doctiral
dissertation lurking in this noun and related verbs in the NT. It remains
to be written.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago