Re: Luke's Semitic Style

From: Mark Goodacre (
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 11:19:03 EDT

On 17 May 99 at 10:06, Jim West wrote:

> The rest of Luke seems a bit more semitic than Mark- but certainly not more so
> than Matthew. Why? I think Luke is dependent on sources here- and close
> attention being paid one will notice that the most semitic elements occur
> where Lk has not made use of Mark. I take this as an indication that Q was a
> semitic source. And that Luke's special material (called by us old guys "L")
> was also semitic in origin.

Subject, of course, to correction from Carl and Edward, this sounds to me more
like a Synoptic-L topic than a b-greek one. If Jim or anyone wants to raise it
there, I would (for one) be interested in discussing it.

With good wishes

Dr Mark Goodacre
  Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
  University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
  Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom
   Aseneth Home Page
   Recommended New Testament Web Resources
   Mark Without Q