Re: Grammatical errors in Revelation

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 11:30:57 EDT

"John P. Mason" wrote:

> I agree with Jim that Revelation uses poor grammar, but I would point to
> John Hurtgen's 1991 PhD dissertation, entitled something like
> "Anti-language in the Book of Revelation" for a discussion of why the
> grammar is bad.

I think a lot of the dust up we've seen here re: the "bad" grammar of Rev. could have

been avoided if we had simply echoed David Aune's assessment that when compared to
other instances of Biblical and (secular) Hellenistic literary Greek that of of Rev
is "peculiar".

Jeffrey Gibson

Jeffrey B. Gibson
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A