Philippians 1.10

From: D. Anthony Storm (
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 00:50:52 EDT

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I cannot get the archive search
to provide me with meaningful responses.

In Phil. 1.10 we read:

Generally this is translated something like "so that you may approve what is
excellent". I was wondering whether the Greek could sustain: "so that you
may be tested as to what is excellent" ie "be made excelllent as a result of
your testing".

In the former case we do the approving or testing; in the latter we are
ourselves tested.

Any thoughts?

D. Anthony Storm