Bart Ehrman on Comfort's book [was: Earliest Manuscripts Comfort]

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 14:01:29 EDT

clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>For those of you who do not follow the TC list but would like to see
>some heated discussion of:
>> Complete Text of the Earliest New Testament Manuscripts.
>> By Philip W. Comfort. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1998.
>The real time archives of the TC list can be found here:

First, let me say that I have not yet seen the book in question.

However, among the many posting in the discussion to which Clayton points,
one message seems particularly noteworthy.

Specifically, Bart Ehrman noted (in a posting sent 20May) that he had
declined to "blurb" the book because a copy of the introduction which he
received was "so full of egregious historical errors" that he was unable to
endorse the book.

Nichael Cramer                           nulla dies sine linea