Re: Pros

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 09:31:29 EDT

At 8:00 AM -0400 5/23/99, Jim West wrote:
>At 06:21 AM 5/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>I've looked at other answers to this, and although none is really wrong,
>>there's a dimension of PROS that, in my opinion, throws the differences
>>into a context:
>
>[very informative info snipped]
>
>true, of course, that pros has a range of meanings. Properly speaking,
>though, it is a directional preposition rather than a symbiotic one. So,
>what use does "sun" serve if "pros" means "with"? Mere synonym?

Jim, did you actually READ what I wrote? The only thing I said that hinted
at anything "symbiotic" was:

"Since the vowel -A- works with the semivowels -L- and -R- in a curious
symbiosis (-A- seems to ooze through the wall of an L or R, or sneak
beneath it, and wind up on the other side (there are four forms of ARA in
Homer: AR, hRA, ARA, and hR, depending on the initial vowel or consonant of
the word following)."

The reference here concerns Greek phonology alone. There's nothing about
PROS being a "symbiotic" preposition.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu