Re: Pros

From: Jim West (
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 12:17:15 EDT

At 09:31 AM 5/23/99 -0400, you wrote:

>>true, of course, that pros has a range of meanings. Properly speaking,
>>though, it is a directional preposition rather than a symbiotic one. So,
>>what use does "sun" serve if "pros" means "with"? Mere synonym?
>Jim, did you actually READ what I wrote? The only thing I said that hinted
>at anything "symbiotic" was:

I didnt say that you did Carl. That was my statement. In short- pros is
directional and sun is symbiotic. Pros ton theon means "The Word was
towards God- Godward, a sign pointing at God. Sun ton theon would imply
"the word was WITH God (in some sort of symbiotic relationship.)"

>The reference here concerns Greek phonology alone. There's nothing about
>PROS being a "symbiotic" preposition.

I realize that- nor is it. Sun is the symbiotic preposition. In fact, my
statement quoted by you above says precisely that. And I do not believe
that I at any point said otherwise.

Jim West, ThD
web page-