PRODROMOS in Heb. 6:20

From: Kevin L. Barney (klbarney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 26 1999 - 22:40:45 EDT

Maurice's citation of Tertullian led me to the original text in Tacitus,
Histories, V.9. This translation is by Church and Brodribb; sorry, but I
don't have the Latin text of the Histories in my library:

"Cneius Pompeius was the first of our countrymen to subdue the Jews.
Availing himself of the right of conquest, he entered the temple. Thus it
became commonly known that the place stood empty with no similitude of gods
within, and that the shrine had nothing to reveal. The walls of Jerusalem
were destroyed, the templle was left standing."

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney@yahoo.com