Re: Christian [Anointing]

From: Cindy Smith (
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 13:39:56 EDT

From: DRACNS::CMS "Cindy Smith" 24-MAY-1999 12:38:19.65
To: MX%""
Subj: RE: Christian [Annointing]

  Certainly, the Catholic Church anoints the sick (unction for the sick),
and also anoints Confirmands in order to seal them as slaves of Christ,
according to 2 Corinthians 1:21-22, "But it is God who establishes us
with you in Christ and has anointed us, by putting his seal on us and
giving us his Spirit in our hearts as a first installment." Also,
Ephesians 1:3, "In him you also, when you had heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation, and had believed in him, were marked with
the seal of the promised Holy Spirit;" Also, Ephesians 4:30, "And do not
grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were marked with a seal
for the day of redemption." When the Spirit is strengthened within us
during the Sacrament of Confirmation, we are marked as Christ's own slaves
forever. I believe the Orthodox perform this Confirmation ceremony with
anointing at the baptism of infants. Catholics generally Confirm around
the age of 11-13.

Cindy Smith
                                          Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ //
>IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< A Real Live Catholic in Georgia // /// \\\ \\
Delay not your conversion to the LORD,
Put it not off from day to day
   Ecclesiasticus/Ben Sira 5:8

Read the mailing list
Read the mailing list
Read the mailing list (Greek New Testament)
Read the mailing list (Hebrew Old Testament)