Re: EAN MH = but in Gal 2:16?

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 06:23:12 EDT

Charles wrote:

> OU DIKAIOUTAI ANQRWPOS EX ERGWN NOMOU EAN MH DIA PISTEWS IHSOU CRISTOU.
>
>. The apodosis expresses how one is
> not justified, while the protasis expresses how one can be justified. This is
> a case similar to the use of EI MH, where EAN MH does not suggest an
> exception to a rule but an alternative to it. The alternative to being
> justified by the works of the Law is by being justified by faith in Christ.
> For similar use with EI MH see Matt 12:4 (Mark 2:26; Luke 6:4); Rev 9:4;
> 21:27.

Thanks, Charles. All of your examples clearly show that EI MH or EAN MH
are idioms that mean "but only". For example, "it is not permitted to him
or those with him "if not" to the high priest" does not make sense. If we
replace "if not" with "but only", it makes sense. Though I wonder how
"if not" came to mean "but only", I would be satisfied
if you say that that is a Greek idiom.

Moon

Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor