Re: 1 Kg. 15:13 ( LXX query )

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 12:19:38 EDT

I have just noticed that the Lust, et al. Lexicon cites SUNODOS in 1 Kg.
15:13 as "assembly, conspiracy".

So it appears that what was an "abominable image" in BHS has turned into a
palace coup, orgainised by the queen mother in LXX -- very political, this
translator <g>

Maurice

At 15:11 02/06/99 +0100, I wrote:
>Here's one for Carl, I should think, to give us the classical background.
>
>1 Kg. 15:13 reads, in part, in the NRSV:
>He also removed his mother Maacah from being queen mother, because she had
>made an abominable image for Asherah;
>
>Here "made an abominabl image" is a direct tranlsation of
>the Hebrew verb ' to make ' and what BDB terms:
>" (of some abominable object of idolatry, not precisely known).
>[ the terms appears only in 1 Kg and 2 Chr.]
>In the LXX, it reads:
>
>KAI THN ANA THN MHTERA AUTOU METESTHSEN TOU MH EINAI HGOUMENHN KAQWS
>EPOIHSEN SUNODON EN TW ALSEI KAI .....
>
>What is the background, do you think, to 'making a SUNODON in her grove"
>--- it obviously means something more sinister than holding a synod in her
>bac garden <g> but what 'pagan practice' came to the mind of the
>translator, do you think?

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie