Re: Use of names in Gal 2

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Fri Jun 11 1999 - 10:17:34 EDT

Tony Galman wrote;
> Any coments in the different use of Petro and Cephas in Gal 2.

Tony, Bart Ehrman (If I can trust my memory) recently wrote an article
presenting the case that Cephas and Petros were two differenct people. His
evidence, as I recall, came from a later period. I can't remember where
that article appeared (maybe JBL).

I also remember that back in the 50's & 60's a couple of commentators
argued that there was an interpolation into this passage by one of Paul's
friends in Galatia that included verses 3-8. The use of the name Petros in
that section and the desparaging parenthesis in verse 6 was part of the
evidence. They argued that what Paul wrote of the account of the conference
was 1-2,9-10.

This does not take into consideration the rather disparaging reference to
Cephas in 11-14.

I am at home and do not have access to my notes to see who made these

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Ph. 1 318 448 6103 hm