Re: 'instrumental-comitative dative' - beginners guide to grammatical terms

From: Edgar Krentz (
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 11:59:06 EDT

>"Carl W. Conrad" wrote:

>> I would understand each instance of EN that you mark with exclamation mark
>> in these verses as an instrumental-comitative dative and use "with" to
>> convey the sense into English.
>Is there anywhere on the web where one can get a definition of
>'instrumental-comitative dative', or for that matter if not on the web
>then any
>printed resource that anyone recommends.
>While we're at it, I'm sure there are others who are just as bewildered at
>times as I
>when some of these grammatical terms are used, especially as some work
>with different
>sets of terms which they would allow etc etc. I'm all for those who go for 9
>genitives instead of 39 (arbitrary numbers)
>So, can anyone suggest a beginners guide to all the different types of
>dative, aorist etc (preferably the fewer the better!)?
>If only that we might be speaking intelligibly to one another in English
>trying to understand the greek ...
>Jonathan Ryder

Don't lose heart. Carl Conrad is simply being precise. See H. W. Smyth,
GREEK GRAMMAR, par. 1521-1528, all devoted to the comitative dative.

This is the grammar you should read constantly. Its grammatical terminology
is the normal set, prior to the arrival of modern linguistics.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street