1 Clement 2

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 21:59:05 EDT

  In 1 Clement 2:4 we read "Day and night you engaged in a struggle on
behalf of the entire botherhood, EIS TO SWZESQAI MET' ELEOUS KAI

  Any idea what this (i.e., the "with mercy and conscience") might mean?
Or better yet (:-)), how it might be translated?

  Two notes: one of the two surviving mss (C, from 1056 CE) gives DEOUS (=
awe or reverence) for ELEOUS. And several scholars have suggested
emendations: e.g., Lake gives SUNAISQHSEWS (which, oddly, he translates on
the English side [as "compassion"], even though he retains SUNEIDHSEWS on
the Greek side); Lightfoot suggests EUDOKHSEWS, and notes that others
have proposed (more violently, he thinks) SUNAINESEWS, SUNEIKSEWS --
sorrry, I don't remember how y'all transliterate the XI -- or SUNDEHSEWS.
Finally, for the third of my two notes: Bauer proposes "conscientiously"
for META ... SUNEIDHSEWS, on the basis of some late papyri and with
possible support in 1 Clem. 34:7.

   So my questions: (1) Is there a plausible way to construe the text
without emending it? and (2) If not, what emendation strikes you (any of
you) as most persuasive?

-- Bart Ehrman