Periphrastic construction in I John 1:4

From: Robert R. Monti (robemon@regent.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 00:57:33 EDT

Right now I'm working my way through I John to keep up my Greek translation
work up on my own. I'd like some input on I John ch. 1, v. 4:

        KAI TAUTA GRAFOMEN hHMAIS, hINA hH CARA hHMWN hH PEPLHRWMENH.

Concerning hH PEPLHRWMENH, I made the following note:

        hH PEPLHRWMENH is the periphrastic construction (perfect participle
and present
        subjunctive form of EIMI). It emphasizes a state of existence. For
John, the completed
        process of writing about the manifested eternal life which the
apostles had seen, heard
        touched is meant to achieve a durative state in both John and his
intended audience --
        "that our joy might be completed."

Comments would be appreciated -- either on- or off-list is fine. I would
also appreciate it if somebody would discuss the use of DE to lend strength
to a statement or argument, as in I John ch. 1, v. 3b:

        KAI hH KOINWNIA *DE* hH hHMETERA META TOU PATROS KAI META TOU hUIOU
        AUTOU IHSOU CRISTOU.

Thanks!

Robert R. Monti
M. Div. candidate