Re: Logos/Dao-Cindy Smith

From: Theodore H Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 08:55:58 EDT

Hi Cindy:

My daughter-in-law, who is Chinese, tells me that Logos is indeed
translated as "dao" in the NT (as, for example, in John 1:1). She says
that Chinese lacks a really good term for Logos, and "dao" is about as
close as they can get. She translates the term into English as "way," or
"method." She also says that she has a translation that uses the term
"wha," which is the simple Chinese word for "word." This translation,
however, is not the one that is commonly used in China and Taiwan.

For whatever it's worth.

Dr. Theodore "Ted" Mann
thmann@juno.com
http://www.homestead.com/eIXQUS/index.html