Re: KURIE ELEHSON ME

From: N & RJ Hanscamp (nar.hanscamp@clear.net.nz)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 15:40:29 EDT

>At 09:32 AM 7/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>So it got me thinking, if I was going to put something across my
windshield
>>in Greek, what would it be? My first idea is 'KURIE ELEHSON', because of
>>that rock and roll anthem by the same name "KURIE ELEHSON on the road that
>>I must travel". So here are my two questions:
>
>Well actually that song is based on the latin phrase "kyrie eleison"- from
>the latin mass wherein the mercy of God is invoked through Christ.

ummm are you sure?? The phrase appears in MT 17.15. (GNT) and don't sound
very latin
to me. It is also part of the *Jesus prayer* used in Taise and
contemplative prayer.

Nigel

Nigel and Rebecca Hanscamp
Trinity Methodist Theological College
Auckland Consortium of Theological Education, New Zealand
Email: nar.hanscamp@clear.net.nz