NA spaces

From: Ray Clendenen (rclende@lifeway.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 14:27:32 EDT

Ray Clendenen@BSSBNOTES
07/21/99 01:27 PM

Jim:

>Since the right margin is justified in NA 27, the editors appear merely to
>have placed extra spaces between these verses in order to accomodate this
>justification. I dont think its any sort of sub paragraphing or anything-
>its just a necessity because of the margins.

Christopher : >Hmmm. That's funny, I always thought those WERE
subparagraphs. I can't
find any explanation of them in the introduction. In any case, I don't
think that justification of margins would account for the spaces. Look,
for
example, at Acts 21:19-20. There the entire word EIPON from the next line
would have fit into the space. Likewise, in 21:25-26, except for the
space,
the word ANDRAS would not have been split over two lines. I think that
hyphenation and even small spacing adjustments between words would suffice
to achieve justified margins. There must be some other explanation for the
spaces that Ray asked about.>

I agree with Christopher. I had ruled out Jim's explanation because the UBS
is right justified without the spaces. See also 2 Pet 2:10, 14-15; Rev 2:7,
17, 28-29.

Ray

Christopher R. Hutson
          Hood Theological Seminary