Re: Why do etymology at all?

From: Mike Sangrey (
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 19:16:39 EDT

Whenever I think of etymology, I think of a particular word that had one
meaning on April 14, 1912 and a very different meaning on April 15, the very
next day--"titanic".

I think just recently it is becoming somewhat OK to use the word again. Here
is a case, albeit not greek, where a word had a meaning, lost its meaning, and
after 80 years is starting to get it back. I guess etymology is more a study
of history than of a word.

Mike Sangrey