Re: Jn 7.37

From: Jim West (
Date: Mon Aug 02 1999 - 20:35:05 EDT

At 11:59 AM 8/3/99 +1200, you wrote:
>Could someone comment on the use of the pres middle imperative ERCESQW in
Jn 7.37. Should this be seen as a command, or does the EAN at the beginning
of the clause soften it?

I dont think its a command-- the sentence is a conditional- as indicated by
ean. Its merely an invitation or some such thing. I.e., If anyone is
thirsty, he should come to me... etc. In fact- the protasis (dipsa) and
the apodosis (erchestho) are rather straightforward.

>Second is the perenial problem of punctuation in this passage. Comments on
the UBS stop after PINETW would be appreciated.

I dont find any problem with a full stop here. It makes fine sense.

Jim West, ThD
web page-