Re: question

From: Jim West (
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 11:20:25 EDT

At 02:24 AM 8/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>I was wondering what kind of degree would someone need to have to be
>considered a scholar of the Greek language.

Well, one could have a PhD in classical studies- which I assume means one
knows Greek fairly well (i.e, is an expert therein) or- perhaps a doctorate
(PhD or ThD) in Biblical Studies/New Testament. Again, such a person would
of necessity be expert in matters Greek. ( A DMin- on the other hand-
usually has nothing to do with Greek or Hebrew because its a
"ministerial/practical" degree).
I am always running the risk of sounding elitist- but I really dont believe
anyone without the requisite academic credentials can be considered an
expert in any field- no matter how much time they have put into personal
study of a topic.
This is true of medicine, physics, and languages.

>Mitchell Gray



Jim West, ThD
web page-

B-Greek home page:
You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: []
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
To subscribe, send a message to

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : Sat Apr 20 2002 - 15:40:34 EDT